Wednesday 4 April 2007

Rodgering the Bannister !

I attended the gymnasium last night hell bent on a warm up jog followed by a more dedicated and determined splash. I had made a deal with myself that if I could complete a 500m swim in 25 minutes or less I would allowed to stay up for an extra half an hour and my request to watch a film in bed, if I promised to be quiet, would be considered.
I ascended the treadmill and started to run in a fashion reminiscent of Forest Gump, with calipers fractured and left behind in my wake. I ended up running 5km in under 24 minutes. Pleased and somewhat smug I headed to the changing rooms confident that my late night double feature request would be granted. I was ready to Spitz that pool!
Forgot my bathers so that, I am afraid, was the end of that!
Returning home I treated myself to some strongbow and, given that it was the rebirth of my training, a celebratory cigar or three.
Later, while emptying the washing machine, I realised that two pair beats a prial when it comes to socks.

No comments: